test

test

Monday, November 24, 2014

Think Happy Thoughts

If you acted like this everyday, life would
be so much better. 
My Linked In news feed directed me to this great article.  It lays out 7 great tips for maximizing your thankfulness.  Frankly, it is one of the best articles I have read in a while - not because poetic prose or brilliant new insight, but because it focuses on positive thinking and being thankful for what is important.

How does this relate to Leadership?  Simple, happy and thankful leaders are better leaders.  Think about the people you followed or worked for in your life - who was better, the upbeat positive "we can do it" leader or the cranky, never satisfied critical leader?  Really not a contest is it?

One thing I have learned through my career is that a positive outlook may possibly be the most important leadership tool you have.  One real life example I can give you is Major Doug Zembiec, a true hero in every sense of the word.  I went to the Naval Academy with Doug and knew him fairly well there, and I ran into him a handful of times during our overlapping Marine Corps careers.  While Doug was fantastic is every sense of the word, the thing I most remember from our interactions was his positive upbeat nature - I can't recall the man ever not smiling.  He attacked life with a vigor and was always excited about it.

Few people on this planet can be a Doug Zembiec, but we all can be positive, happy and focused on the good things in life.

That attitude all starts with being thankful for what we have and focusing on the positive in our lives.



I have recently made concerted efforts to begin my day by reciting several positive things in my life - since I started that practice, my entire disposition has changed and it has made me a better leader at work and at home,

So, I ask you, are you up for the challenge of being positive and thinking happy thoughts?  If so, start by counting your blessings and being positive.




No comments:

Post a Comment